Need a fresh look? Paint is an inexpensive and fun way to create some fun effects and bring some dramatic elements to life in your home. Here are just a few techniques to inspire you:
1. Blending. This is used when you’d like a soft transition from one color to another or for a gradual blend through multiple colors. An example might be blue to green to yellow.
2. Distressed. This technique is used frequently on small objects such as chairs, dressers or frames to give a character and aged look. It can also be used on full walls or rooms, however, it can be very time consuming as it typically uses layers.
3. Faux fabrics. Faux leather and strie styles give the appearance of a fabric adhered to a wall or piece of furniture. Faux stone work is also growing in popularity, adding dimension to columns, back splashes and otherwise uninteresting walls.
4. Stripes. Whether one horizontal line that divides a wall, or many vertical stripes to add texture and dimensions, lines are a well defined, bold and structured look.
5. Stencils and Rub-ons. These are now available in retail stores or online with a variety of styles. If you are a renter, rub on’s are a great, removable way to add some design to those plain white walls.
6. Murals. Murals aren’t just for children’s rooms. People are painting the ceilings in entryways or even having inspiring quotes painted on bedroom or office walls. Many of these are left to professionals, as a poorly done mural does indeed look like a toddler got a hold of markers and crayons.
All these techniques have examples and can be found online. If the do-it-yourself videos are too intimidating, keep in mind Stellar Painting & Remodeling can help you with any of these painting projects. Have fun, be creative and love your space!